[plug] Attempting to install redhat 5.2 over network

Colin 't Hart cthart at gbs.com.au
Mon Mar 15 21:44:11 WST 1999

Kevin Shackleton wrote:

> Colin, Do you want to explain this a bit better?
>
>> Also make sure that the IP address for the new machine has DNS name
>> reverse DNS name otherwise the NFS server probably won't allow the
>> mount.

I was NFS sharing axp250:/cdrom from a DEC Alpha that we have. But
mounting on the client refused to work -- I think we only had a forward
DNS entry for the client at that stage and the DEC was being extremely
uncooperative with some strange RPC error and I think adding the reverse
entry fixed the problem.
Either that or it was something trivial like the exports file not
listing my host :-) but I'm pretty sure that was OK and hence I was
stumped.

See David Campbell's further explanation...

Cheers,

Colin