[plug] Attempting to install redhat 5.2 over network

Matt Kemner zombie at networx.net.au
Mon Mar 15 09:00:50 WST 1999

On Mon, 15 Mar 1999, David Campbell wrote:

> I think I know what he is talking about. NFS can be extremely fussy
> about the name/IP pairing at both end of the link. The actual
> connection request sends the host name of the machine and not a fully
> host.domain style.

Actually, the problem is more the fact that in DNS there are seperate
zone files for the IP addresses and the hostnames.
If the 2 don't match, the connection (and this is usually any connection)
is refused. Eg take your example below

> NFS Client: tiriain.che.curtin.edu.au

When the server sees the incoming request, it sees the incoming IP address
is 134.7.142.100.  It does a look up on that IP address and gets a
response of tirian.che.curtin.edu.au. To make sure noone is playing silly
buggers with domain names it then does a lookup on
tirian.che.curtin.edu.au and makes sure it gets a response of
134.7.142.100.  If it doesn't, it refuses the connection.

> Other solutions would of been to add a tirian.cage.curtin.edu.au
> entry to DNS...

Another quick fix solution is to add tirian to /etc/hosts
(providing /etc/host.conf says "order hosts,bind")

 - Matt

P.S. to the original poster: What error messages do you get from the NFS
server when you try to mount anything from it?
I have found it helpful in the past to kill rpc.mountd and then run it
manually with -F -d <number> so it prints debug messages to your screen.