[plug] Gnome + Enlightenment + X Windows

Bevan Broun bevanb at ee.uwa.edu.au
Tue Mar 16 14:04:39 WST 1999

on Tue, Mar 16, 1999 at 01:48:04PM +0800, Phillip Summers <psummers at omen.net.au> wrote:
> I was wondering what people thought about Gnome.
>
> I can see that Linux has many advantages over Windows but its weakest point
> seems to be the GUI. In particular the fact that you need three layers of
> software to run a GUI i.e. Gnome + Enlightenment + X Server. This seems to
> place a huge load on the host machine. In comparison, Windows 3.1 had a full
> integrated GUI and used far less resources. I would even say that W98 was
> more resource friendly than this combo.
>
> The way I see it, before linux become viable for desktop use, someone will
> have to combine these three technologies into a single compact efficient
> package.
>
> Anyone have any thoughts on this?

1: With Linux/unix you have a choice. You can turn the whole lot off and
have no gui. You cant do this with Win9X or NT (I believe). And this
turning on/off of X is simple and fast.

2: For a GUI on Linux/unix you need your Xserver and a Window Manager.
And again you have a choice. There are other X servers beside XFree86
and there are loads of window managers to choose from. Some combos will
lead to more resouces being used than others.

3: If you decide to you gnome or kde you have only yourself to blame.

BB
--
Bevan Broun                                           ph (08) 9380 1587
Computer Systems Officer                             fax (08) 9380 1065