[plug] Gnome + Enlightenment + X Windows

Phillip Summers psummers at omen.net.au
Tue Mar 16 13:48:04 WST 1999

I was wondering what people thought about Gnome.

I can see that Linux has many advantages over Windows but its weakest point
seems to be the GUI. In particular the fact that you need three layers of
software to run a GUI i.e. Gnome + Enlightenment + X Server. This seems to
place a huge load on the host machine. In comparison, Windows 3.1 had a full
integrated GUI and used far less resources. I would even say that W98 was
more resource friendly than this combo.

The way I see it, before linux become viable for desktop use, someone will
have to combine these three technologies into a single compact efficient
package.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Regards Phil