[plug] Quake Fest requirements

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Tue Mar 16 23:16:17 WST 1999

Phillip Summers wrote:
> I am interested in attending the Quakefest. What equipment and software
> would I require. I have never played "multiplayer" quake before, would I be
> wasting my time due to my inexperience?

I can run QuakeWorld OK on my P75+64M+S3V/DX(PCI). As for playing
skills, I don't think I even rate "cannon fodder;" more along the lines
of "unpredictable obstacle."

> I have Quake, 4Meg S3 video card, Cyrix 133 machine (W98 installed), 64mb
> ram.  Have a PCi network card but its currently not installed. Is that all I
> need?

Yes. Of course, a K6-II-450+128M+24M-NVidia would be even better... (-:

> Do I need to be running Linux + Quake Linux? I don't have linux installed on
> this machine but on my i386sx25.

I can recommend finding room on your disk for a Linux partition, even if
temporarily. Most of the PLUG people are polite, but some people just
love to fiddle, and Windows was born to be fiddled with. (-:

--
People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it is
safer to harrass rich women than motorcycle gangs.