[plug] Linux in The West

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Tue Mar 16 23:29:06 WST 1999

Grant Malcolm wrote:

> In case any pluggers missed it:
>
> "Linus admirers steer the system into mainstream"
> by Nick Miller, p40 The West Australian 18/3/99
>
> Just wondered about a couple of the stats quoted by Nick. He mentions
> Linux running 17% of web servers in the US, compared with 34% running NT.
> Didn't sound right to me.
>
> If someone can point me to some better stats, i know Nick personally and
> would be happy to pass them on to him.

http://www.netcraft.com/Survey/Reports/9903/bydomain/com/ is the .com
domain (nominally American); Apache has 54%; MS has 24%.

http://www.netcraft.com/Survey/Reports/199903/platform.html is worldwide
by platform; the OS is not identified, but Apache is over 58% and NT is
25%.

While we're here... http://www.netcraft.com/Survey/influence.html - why
is egg.microsoft.com so high in the list, and why is it running Linux?

--
"When I die, I want go out just like my grandfather, in his sleep,
peaceful and quiet... not kicking and screaming like the other guys