[plug] Gnome + Enlightenment + X Windows

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Tue Mar 16 23:39:15 WST 1999

Phillip Summers wrote:
> I was wondering what people thought about Gnome.

It OK, in front yard, standing guard over petunias.

> I can see that Linux has many advantages over Windows but its weakest point
> seems to be the GUI. In particular the fact that you need three layers of
> software to run a GUI i.e. Gnome + Enlightenment + X Server. This seems to
> place a huge load on the host machine. In comparison, Windows 3.1 had a full
> integrated GUI and used far less resources. I would even say that W98 was
> more resource friendly than this combo.

> The way I see it, before linux become viable for desktop use, someone will
> have to combine these three technologies into a single compact efficient
> package.

> Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Many. Scratch Enlightenment - it's an _alternative_ to gnome, fvwm2 etc,
which is one of many choice you just don't get under Windows.

Now try running a Win app on one machine and displaying it on another.
Under X, that requires either one command-line parameter _or_ one
environment variable. How about several displays on one machine? Running
a windowing app when you don't have graphics hardware? Running a desktop
in a window? All easy with X, require special software under Win. Want
your desktop to look and feel and _operate_ like a Mac? An SGI? Windows?
You can do that per-user under X, per-machine with special software
under Win. Want to run all of your crunchy apps on your super-server and
use lite user hardware? Piece of cake with X, masses of hardware and
pain to do the same with NT (and AFAIK can't at all with 95/98).

And so on.

--
HELO my name is sendmail.cf. You SIGKILLed my shell. Prepare to vi.