[plug] Gnome + Enlightenment + X Windows

Christian christian at global.net.au
Tue Mar 16 16:36:46 WST 1999

Phillip Summers wrote:

> I was wondering what people thought about Gnome.
>
> I can see that Linux has many advantages over Windows but its weakest point
> seems to be the GUI. In particular the fact that you need three layers of
> software to run a GUI i.e. Gnome + Enlightenment + X Server. This seems to
> place a huge load on the host machine. In comparison, Windows 3.1 had a full
> integrated GUI and used far less resources. I would even say that W98 was
> more resource friendly than this combo.
> The way I see it, before linux become viable for desktop use, someone will
> have to combine these three technologies into a single compact efficient
> package.

In addition to what's already been said, firstly I agree the GUI is
something of a weakness as you say - but not necessarily for the reasons
you describe.  Sure, Linux has more separate components than Windows -
but three separate components do not necessarily mean three times the
resources - especially since each component is smaller, compact and more
efficient than the Windows equivalents (which are all stuck together in
one huge, unnmanageable/unconfigurable mass).  The overhead in having
additional components has very little serious influence on today's
powerful desktop machines and the fact that they are running on top of a
fast, efficient, stable operating system core further reduces the
impact.  Certainly on my home machine, I find Windows frustratingly slow
compared with Linux - no matter how many layers or tasks I throw at it.

Regards,

Christian.