[plug] Gnome + Enlightenment + X Windows

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Wed Mar 17 09:01:43 WST 1999

On Tue, 16 Mar 1999, Trevor Phillips wrote:

> IMHO, it's not so much GUI as GUI functionality. There's lots of pretty GUI's
> for Linux, and quite a few are quicker than Windoze98; I dual-boot KDE/Win98.
> BUT Linux GUI's still lack functionality! I'm talking applications and such,
> and the biggie (IMHO) is file manager! I hate MicroSoft as much as the next
> guy, but I still prefer Internot Exploder (the File Manager part) over any
> Linux filemanager. It's just easier to DO things, and get information than any
> Linux filemanager I've seen, and for me, efficient functionality is high
> priority! KDE's FM is getting there, but still not quite.

I can agree with that, ... Star Office's FM is basically explorer.  BUT
StarOffice 5.0 is slow ... even on a pII350 with 128Mb RAM :( ... BUt I still
use it.

> The other missing app is a decent powerful text editor. kwrite is getting
> there, but I still prefer the feel of TextPad (shareware for Windoze). And
> don't go on about the power of vi. I know vi very well; I still find it less
> efficient than others. Maybe "comfort" and "intuitiveness" are the things I
> need...
>
> (Hey, um, whatsyername! Mark! What was that GUI VI you were telling me about at
> the last PLUG meeting?) (Are you on this list?? ^_^;;)

... He's not on the list BUT it was gvim.  ... It's basically vi BUT you can
customise a menu bar (ie if you are editing a .c file you have make and ctags
on a menu.  If you are editing .html you have lynx or Netscape etc etc).

You can also select, copy and paste with the mouse (mind you you can do that
in console mode).

Yours Tony.