[plug] Gnome + Enlightenment + X Windows

Trevor Phillips phillips at central.murdoch.edu.au
Wed Mar 17 13:34:37 WST 1999

"Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima" wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Mar 1999, Trevor Phillips wrote:
>
> > IMHO, it's not so much GUI as GUI functionality. There's lots of pretty GUI's
> > for Linux, and quite a few are quicker than Windoze98; I dual-boot KDE/Win98.
> > BUT Linux GUI's still lack functionality! I'm talking applications and such,
> > and the biggie (IMHO) is file manager! I hate MicroSoft as much as the next
> > guy, but I still prefer Internot Exploder (the File Manager part) over any
> > Linux filemanager. It's just easier to DO things, and get information than any
> > Linux filemanager I've seen, and for me, efficient functionality is high
> > priority! KDE's FM is getting there, but still not quite.
>
> I can agree with that, ... Star Office's FM is basically explorer.  BUT
> StarOffice 5.0 is slow ... even on a pII350 with 128Mb RAM :( ... BUt I still
> use it.

I'm not too pleased with StarOffice. Seems to have the Stability of a MicroSoft
product. ^_^
My Solaris install now core dumps whenever you try and run it. Tried to install
under Linux, but it ran outta disk space, so I cleaned up 250 Meg, and it ran
out again (as I watched it install up to about 230%!!!!) Something was stuffed.

The product itself, though, runs in its own little universe. It's almost a
virtual window to an Office box. ^_^

: CWIS Technical Officer         -           T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :