[plug] X-Windows, without the local graphics?

Trevor Phillips phillips at central.murdoch.edu.au
Thu Mar 18 11:47:06 WST 1999

Bevan Broun wrote:

> I think you confused about which is the X server. The X server is the
> machine running a version of X and allows client programs (which may be
> running on the locally or remotely) to display. In your case the X
> client is the graphical application that is running on your monitorless
> machine and the Xserver is the machine on to which you want the
> application to display.

*slaps forehead*
And after just teaching that to my students the other day. ^_^;;

Ok, let me try and make it a bit clearer. I'd like xdm (or better still,
kdm) running on a machine without loading a local X server, such that
remote machines (X Terminals) can connect to it via X -query name.

I've used VNC for a similar thing, but I'd really like the full X native
desktop. Matt mailed some info; I'm about to try it out, although I'm
not sure if kdm will be different to xdm setup (VERY few docs on kdm
non-standard things).

: CWIS Technical Officer         -           T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :