[plug] Dual CPU's ...

Chris Cornish linuxcw at yahoo.com.au
Sat Mar 20 06:21:13 WST 1999

---Trevor Phillips <phillips at central.murdoch.edu.au> wrote:

> Some bastard at work planted in my mind the idea of us getting PC
upgrades with
> Dual CPU's, and he's got me thinking, curse him!
>
> Does Linux support multiple CPU's?

Definatly

> Does it support it well?

Extreamly well

> Is it worth it?

Depends what applications you need to run but it is worth it just to
play with (kernels compile much faster and things like that). but in
genral your average computer user dosnot need it

> Any recommended motherboards/configs?
>
> Right now I have this image of a Dual Celeron 400 system in my mind,
and would
> like to know peoples opinions on practicality, uses, and pricing...
^_^

Hate to spoil it for you but celeron dosnot support duel procerssor
suport how ever the Pentium II dose not.

The cost  of the main board is going to cost you about $373.30 if you
buy it from me. This will get you an EPOX Dual Pentium II ATX (intell
440-BX) Board that can take processor's ranging from the 233 - 555. 3
SDRAM slots. An intel i740 built in vidio card Yamah Sound card 2*EIDE
2*16550 ECP Ports K/B Power - ON 100Mhz Bus speed.

The pquired procesors that are avalibale are the following :
INTEL PII 350Mhz 512k Cache $384.78 each
INTEL PII 400Mhz 512k Cache $610.70 each
INTEL PII 450Mhz 512k Cache $983.56 each

or the cheaper way to go is a prebuilt system
Specs are
The PII 350 MMX box  $2789

EPoX P2-112a M/B
ATX Case
32 MB pc100 SDRAM
1.44MB Panasonic FDD
3.2 gig
AGP 4MB vidio
15" MPRII Monitor
SUN Classical Keyboard
MS Mouse and a mouse mat
32x CD-ROM
PCI Sound card
3 years insured onsite waranty (an insured warranty means if i go out
of bussiness you\r computer still has a waranty and if the waranty
agency gose out of bussiness then you still hav  awarranty . You may
ask how this works well the insurance company  pays for the repairs.)

all goods quoted are subject to price and spesification change at any
time without notice and or warning. All prices include Tax. Linux
Computer World dose not sell Ex tax

http://jurai.murdoch.edu.au/ .
T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :
> | IT Services                       -               Murdoch
University |
> | On nights such as this, evil deeds are done. And good deeds, of
 /
> | course. But mostly evil, on the whole.                             /
>  \      -- (Terry Pratchett, Wyrd Sisters)                          /

==

Chris Cornish
Linux Computer World
Ph 018 095 720  24hrs 7 days