[plug] Return Receipt on List

Damion Hill dhill at wantree.com.au
Sun Mar 21 18:46:26 WST 1999

On 21 Mar 99, at 18:28, Bret Busby wrote:

> For the sake of peace on the mailing list, and to reduce further wastage on
> the mailing list about this topic, my email address is below; any further
> comments that relate to the merits or otherwise of using receipting, should
> perhaps be between me and the individuals concerned.

Bret,

It would seem to my mind that the way to peace would be to
remove the receipts. I personally don't care one way or the other
but you are managing to alienate some of the more knowledgable
members of the list.

I use Outlook at work and I request receipts as default there but all
messages sent outside the health domain are sent in plain text
with no receipting. It is easy to set this up for individual address.
Create an address in your personal address book, set the send
type to plain text and turn receipting off. That way you can send
pretty messages to those who can read them and pure content to
the list. Surely this would be an acceptable compromise?

As previously mentioned, getting your own message back via the
list should surely serve as an indication that it has been delivered.

The decision you have made could well prevent those who know
the answers to your questions from providing support. I thought the
idea of this list was to promote the community of linux users in
Perth and elsewhere. Why step in and try to stir that up?

The ball is in your court...

Damion.