[plug] Dual CPU's ...

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Mon Mar 22 09:48:20 WST 1999

Gary Allpike wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Mar 1999, Leon Brooks wrote:
>> Chris Cornish wrote:

>>> Extreamly well

>> But don't do it for a month or so yet. _Most_ of the difficult bugs
>> remaining and/or recently fixed in the 2.2.x kernel series are to do
>> with SMP (multi CPUs). SCSI and TCP stack come to mind.

> This list server (digital.linux.org.au) is running on 2.2 SMP - and has
> been perfectly stable so far.

Good.

I might add that *all* of the 2.2.x installations that I have personally
done have been single processor and run absolutely flawlessly.

The unstable 2.2.x machines that I know of have at least failed
relatively nicely (e.g., the TCP bug prevented stalled connections from
recovering), whereas NT machines with SMP problems tend to thoroughly
trash and axe the boot partition, and other such childish behaviour.

--
Windows: the only system you stop with the Start button.