Enlightenment (Was Re: [plug] KDE & Gnome ...)

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Tue Mar 23 11:10:36 WST 1999

On Tue, 23 Mar 1999, Trevor Phillips wrote:

> David Campbell wrote:
> >
> > Enlightenment ROCKS!!! Very kool window manager (I could live with a
> > twilight scene of a bay with water lapping as my background). Tony
>
> Yeah. I use KDE, and I installed the Enlightenment Terminal so I could
> play with translucent terminals. ^_^
> The novelty wore off after a couple of days of my machine bogging down.
> I'm leaning towards Lean now (esp when you average 15 Terminals open at
> a time). ^_^

... I have on average 10 Eterm's up at a given time spread across 3 desktops.
I don't see any problems ... This is on m\by machine at work PII350 64Mb RAM (
I lied to everyone last night when I said it had 128 .... I wan't to know
where my other 64Meg went :() Sone Eterms are translucent, some are themed and
some are just plain black.

> > had his CD Jukebox playing some MP3 files going as well (5 CD-ROMs
> > full of MP3s will take how long to play?). Comparing Enlightenment to
>
> About 50-60 hours worth, if they're the standard 128kbit rate.

... They're 256kbit :) and there are 6 of them .... some CD's are only 50%
full tho.

> > Win95 is like comparing Win95 to Win3.1
>
> What does Enlightenment do, though, that, for example, KDE-WM doesn't?
> >From what I've seen, the only real thing is that translucent term, which
> is the Term program more than the Window Manager... The rest of the
> stuff (funky window borders, etc) you can do in KDEWM AFAIK.
>
> > From what I saw of Gnome (a quick few glances between the crowd
> > around the keyboard) it is "good". The results is similar to what
> > would happen if you took all the Linux desktop developers and
> > randomly assigned them to the two projects (KDE and Gnome), net
> > result is both desktops have their good and bad points. Almost a
> > desktop equivalent to the Linux/FreeBSD development (eg: stealing the
> > good ideas from each other).
>
> ^_^
> Doesn't sound overly conclusive one way or another. I dabbled with Gnome
> a while back, but gave up in frustration over finding apps and
> installing the smeggers. KDE 1.1 has a whole slew of decent apps, and
> I'm finding 3rd-party apps also pretty easy to install and merge in with
> the KDE setup. Have things nicened up in the Gnome world?

... I don't know ... amybe you should try it again .... that's my task for the
day :)

Yours Tony.