[plug] Linux for Dummies

Christian christian at global.net.au
Tue Mar 23 17:48:39 WST 1999

Leon Brooks wrote:

> Christian wrote:
> > Quite honestly, with a name like that, I don't know if
> > I'd read them no matter how good they were!
>
> Snob! (-:
>
> Would you refuse to read the GIMP manual, for its "gimpy" name, or the
> NAG for its?

Why wouldn't I read a book about the "GNU Image Manipulation Program" or
the "Network Adminstrators Guide"? :)  The titles are sensible and not
insulting. :)

I agree with David on this one - "for Dummies/Idiots" books represent
the dumbing down of computers and technology.  While I have no problem
with these things being accessible to mere
mortals^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hyour average person, I think it's wrong
(and silly) to represent complex things as being simple.  Linux is not
for dummies.  No, not even Red Hat. :P  Basically there's a big
difference between a book like "Microsoft Word for Dummies" which
encourages someone who feels like they can't cope with new technology to
give it a try and "Linux for Dummies" which says that any idiot can come
along and expect to be able to use a technologically superior,
sophisticated system.

Just my $1.00 (Sorry, I didn't have any change)

Christian.