[plug] Linux for Dummies

Gavin Tweedie tweedie at nw.com.au
Tue Mar 23 18:05:55 WST 1999

> (and silly) to represent complex things as being simple.  Linux is not
> for dummies.  No, not even Red Hat. :P Basically there's a big
> difference between a book like "Microsoft Word for Dummies" which
> encourages someone who feels like they can't cope with new technology
> to give it a try and "Linux for Dummies" which says that any idiot can
> come along and expect to be able to use a technologically superior,
> sophisticated system.

I agree 100% Christian. It tricks people into thinking that if they read
this book then they will know all they need to use linux efficiently and
should go and reformat their hdd immediately. While we should continue to
encourage more people to try linux, dumping complete beginners with it
with just a book is a definate no no, at least until gnome/kde and the
install programs become a little more user friendly...

Gavin