[plug] Linux for Dummies

Bob Ogden bob at contact.omen.com.au
Tue Mar 23 19:36:02 WST 1999

In <003f01be7517$1b9379e0$0207a8c0 at Cancer.bizzpro.com.au>, on 23/Mar/99
   at 06:22 PM,(+0800 GMT)
"Mim Morcom" <kaos at networx.net.au> said:

> BTW: I do not consider myself a dummy, but from what I have seen the
> 'Dummies' and "Complete Idiots Guide' series do give beginners a little
> more of a grasp on the technology, at a much lower cost than the average
> computer course.

Trouble is, I haven't run into a "Dummies" book that doesn't contain
factual errors, sometimes serious ones. The Linux book and others may be
ok, I haven't seen all the books by any means, but I have seen enough to
be very wary of them. The technical editing of the "Dummies" books seems
lacking to say the least and I would hesitate to recommend one to any
level of expertise. Besides, a book like "Linux for Dummies" is appalling
value for your money compared to the docs available freely (now if there
were only some meta doc so you could find what you needed to know
quickly...:).

--
/-- Bob Ogden  bob at contact.omen.com.au --------------/

Does your system break in 283 days?