Enlightenment (Was Re: [plug] KDE & Gnome ...)

Trevor Phillips phillips at central.murdoch.edu.au
Wed Mar 24 15:11:39 WST 1999

Tamara Thompson wrote:

> What does 'translucent term' mean here?  Too bad I missed the party...
> Did anyone say whether there is a web demo of Enlightenment?

It's an effect where your terminal windows look like they have a translucent
background. ie; you can see through them a bit.
What it actually does is fills in the background with your root window backdrop
image, using the relevant part so it looks like the terminal is transparent.
Then you can add filters to darken it up, or add a colour tint, to get some
very nice effects.

It isn't real translucency, though; put something behind it and you won't be
able to see it. When you drag the window around with Show Contents While
Dragging on, you can see it chug a bit as it recalculates the background image
based on the new window position.

There's other neato effects along the same vein as well.

: CWIS Technical Officer         -           T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :