[plug] ISP's??

Matt Kemner zombie at networx.net.au
Wed Mar 24 08:15:19 WST 1999

On Tue, 23 Mar 1999, Trevor Phillips wrote:

> Ok, so maybe this isn't the best forum to ask, as I think some of you work for
> ISP's, but, what're good ISP's out there?

I think you're right :) This is probably a bad place to ask, since there
are several of us that work for ISPs.

> I'd be after a good stable ISP on WAIX, with no traffic charges, and no
> time-limit (ie; be online all the time if I want).

I think you're going to have a hard time finding an ISP that doesn't have
traffic charges OR a traffic limit, and no time limits, and that can be
classed as "good stable" as well.  Finding one that's on the WAIX as well
is likely to be even harder.

Only the new "upstart" ISPs are likely to be "$25 per month unlimited
time, bandwidth" and they're likely to have just a 64k link into bigpond
or something (because with bigpond a flat fee gets you as much as you can
pull through your 64k) and not enough modems to suit their customer base.

It is just not possible to run an ISP without either setting limits, or
charging per MB/per hour/both.
I think the best thing is to work out exactly how much traffic you use in
a month and ringing around ISPs finding out how much you would get charged
for it.

> Work is getting a bit hedgey about traffic, and my home Linux Box, which
> is online most of the time, has a Traffic Bill that may start drawing
> attention to itself. ^_^;;

I tried to resist the urge to promote my ISP, the above recommendations
should suit most decent ISPs. Apologies if I offend anyone on this list
who works for "upstart" ISPs - got nothing against you, really - I've been
there myself and know how hard it is.

 - Matt