[plug] WINE and Win2000

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Thu Mar 25 09:34:39 WST 1999

Bret Busby wrote:
> What's the 96MB?

Minimum recommended RAM. I seem to recall it being the minimum RAM in
which the thing will actually function, as in (recollection is hazy
here) a friend trying to run it in 64M had no joy, but in 128M it worked
fine.

> If Win2000 requires 96MB RAM, how much disk space will it
> take, and how much swap space?

Disk space, I gather that a minimal install is about 1/2GB; swap space
is "your call."

> Also, what kind of a CPU will be required to
> run Win 2000?

Same as NT: a bloody big one!

> From what I understand, WINE should run on a relatively cheap CPU, and
> overall cheap hardware configuration, whereas Win2000 will likely require a
> somewhat more powerful, and more expensive, hardware configuration. But, I
> am just guessing.

Hmmm. There will be some hardware penalty (RAM and CPU speed) for
supplying bits of Windows to the application, but in general I'd say
you're right. Heard a rumour that one of the N64 emulators actually ran
_faster_ under WINE than Windows...

> Can WINE run on Cyrix chips?

Probably. Put it this way, I don't know, but can see no good reason why
not.

--
Tobacco stocks have taken a big tumble," says Jay Leno. "Phillip Morris
fell