[plug] Linux setup over a networkn

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Thu Mar 25 10:10:52 WST 1999

On Wed, 24 Mar 1999, Bradley Browne wrote:

> I realize that this list had some posts on setting up Linux over a
> network some time ago but I don't remember what the solution was.
>
> I have the opportunity to set up Linux on on of the machines that I use
> to run a DOS program for editing.  Seems a shame to waste the computer
> just running DOS when I think I could emulate DOS and use have it
> running Linux instead.
>
> The problem is that I do not have a CD-ROM for this machine and very
> little knowledge of the network install options for Linux (actually Red
> Hat).  We have an NT server (with CD-ROM) and I was wondering if I could
> maybe specify that the install should run from that.  Is that the NFS
> option ?
>
>  I am trying to do this tonight.  My boss has left work and I am going
> to swiftly delete all flotsam and jetsam from the DOS machine and get it
> running Linux by tomorrow so that he will not even notice the
> difference. He He.

Make sure the NT box exports the CD drive as a share.
Make sure you have an account that can access it.
Choose the (I think) smbfs option. I know that installing from a
lanmanger/lanserver (which includes NT) is supported, though I've never
tried it.

You willneed to create the set of boot/install disks if you don't have
them, and I don't know whether rawrite works on NT. Presumably it does on
'95, and it certainly does on OS/2.

Sorry about last night...

--
Cheers