[plug] 2.2.3 and smbmount

Andrew Howell andrew at vila.it.net.au
Thu Mar 25 23:00:05 WST 1999

On Thu, Mar 25, 1999 at 11:33:50AM +0800, Matt Kemner wrote:
> Yes I know, and I find it equally annoying, which is one of the reasons I
> don't use dselect after I've installed the initial system, unless I _want_
> to upgrade the whole lot.

I never even used it for that, never liked dselect at all.

> > Is there an easy way to
> > get it to keep to the latest stable, unless specified? At the moment I'm
> > just installing the unstable ones manually. (ie; download then dpkg -i)
>
> I use apt, and stay the hell away from dselect.
>
> Hopefully the new apt frontend that will appear in the next few versions
> of debian will make this a bit easier.  Perhaps someone else on the list
> who follows the Debian news a little more closely than I do can comment on
> this (Greg? Lindsay?)

gnome-apt is already packaged and is in the special gnome testing area
at the moment, i've been using it for a while and it's still miss a few
features but it's quite nice :)

But If I know what I want to install I find 'apt-get install foo' works
pretty good :)

gnome-apt is good for browsing for packages :)

--
Andrew Howell
Managing Director
E-mail: andrew at it.net.au