[plug] S3Vs

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Fri Mar 26 11:50:24 WST 1999

root (Mark who does user things with a naughty login) wrote:
> Jamie Moir wrote:
> > On Thu, 25 Mar 1999, Mark Saxon wrote:
> > > Am still new to recent X windows managers and have been able to have
> > > both WMaker and Enlightenment lock up. When I kill the xserver off
> > > the console is all spagetti font.
> > > Have tried the stty sane command ?  to reset console fonts to no effect
> > > am I using the right command or what else could be wrong.
> > > Thanks in advance.

> > just out of curiosity, are you using an s3v? its the only card i have used
> > that gives me console gibberish when exiting x

> Affirmative  -- using the SVGA server  does not want to run with s3v server

Using the SVGA server is recommended anyway because the "general"
optimisations and stuff in it exceed the specific S3 hacks in the S3
server. I had a nasty in XFree86 3.3.2 where SVGA asked for a library
(libs3v.a) which I didn't have and couldn't find and ran the screen in
320x200 when it couldn't have the lib... 'twas a bit crowded...

--
"Diaper spelled backwards is Repaid.  Think about it."
 -- Marshall McLuhan