[plug] poor bloke...he is good for a beer though :)

Greg Mildenhall greg at networx.net.au
Mon Mar 29 04:55:28 WST 1999

On Sun, 28 Mar 1999, Tony Clark wrote:
> >Gary Allpike

If Gary says you're not subscribed to PLUG, you're probably not.
follow the instructions from http://plug.linux.org.au/ to (re)subscribe.

> I have a modem running off com1 of my computer. The mouse is a ps2
> microsoft mouse connected to aux and works fine. I am unable to
> communicate with the modem. I have tried minicom with no luck.
COM1=/dev/ttyS0

> When linux starts the modem CTS, RTS, RXD, and TXD lights come on and don't
> go off. the modem link in /etc is to ttys0. I have tried ttys1 and cua0.
Are you sure it is not /dev/ttyS0 ? It _is_ case sensitive.
What would those lights mean if you were dialling in somewhere?
They mean that a program is holding the modem ready to send/recieve, I
assume? That would probably mean a daemon of some nature is listening on
your modem, and off the top off my head I can only think of xringd, diald
and pppd as candidates. Perhaps you should look at the settings of those
three programs for hints as to what is happening?
Whichever one is using the modem will have the right modem device
somewhere in it's config, but you might have to switch it off in order to
use another program on the device.

-Greg Mildenhall