[plug] 486's and RAM

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Mon Mar 29 12:27:46 WST 1999

Bret Busby wrote:
> Like Daniel, we have a 486 with 4 x 1MB RAM chips (and it came with a 40MB
> HDD) (3 x 1 type of RAM chip, 1 x another type, from looking at them).

> The RAM chips are 30 pin chips.

> Next to the bank of four slots, is a bank of two slots, 72 pin.

> My understanding is that the two 72 pin slots are also for RAM, and that we
> can put 72 pin EDO RAM chips in those slots; also that we can use a pair of
> 72 pin RAM chips in that bank, with no 30 pin chips in the other bank.

AFAIK, you can use both at once. I have a 486SLC M/B that uses 12M, 8MB
in 72-pin and 4MB as 4x1 in 30-pin.

> Could someone who knows, please confirm (or otherwise) this; $110 for 2 x
> 16MB EDO RAM chips (from an Internet price), would likely make it alot
> better, than experimenting with a low memory Linux install, and then not
> being able to do much with Linux, once it is installed.

Pricey for old stuff. Could get a modern Azza MB + AMD K6-II 300 CPU for
about $200+tax, SDRAM for about $70+tax for each 32MB. EDO is costing
more with time, SDRAM less. But it's turn will come...

> I realise that this shows my lack of knowledge, but, if we don't ask, we
> don't find out.

Good attitude.

--
I don't know what's scarier - losing nuclear weapons or that it happens
so often that we have a name for it.