[plug] Help overclocking celeron 300A required

g.van_riessen at student.murdoch.edu.au g.van_riessen at student.murdoch.edu.au
Tue Mar 30 12:01:34 WST 1999

Hey Phil,

I did what you are planning, but, for the sake of the experiment, am trying
to break the 500MHz mark with the Celeron 300A.  I know others have.

The voltage stepping isn't so critical.  The celeron's default core voltage
is lower than that of PII's by .2V to start with they can be hiked up to
2.2V immediately and left there with only slight risk of reducing the life
of the CPU.

The advantage of the BH6 is its 'soft select' stuff - no jumpers etc. to
mess around with, and it's stability.  It is considered a very stable
motherboard.  This is critical when overclocking.

One thing to consider is a phenomenon I know little about known as the
'burn in' effect.  Some chips don't like being pushed to start with, but
after running them at higher than normal core voltage for a couple of days
seem to settle down and handle higher  clock speeds.

Also consider extra cooling.

Grant.