[plug] Microsoft Vs Linux ...

Kim Covil kimc at ned.dem.csiro.au
Tue Mar 30 20:45:18 WST 1999

> Ok, we pretty much agree:
>   - Microsoft Sucks (their marketing/business practices, etc)
>   - Linux is better (stability, efficiency, etc)
>
> And we here use Linux. Which of the above reasons is peoples main reason
> for using Linux??

Reasons I use linux:
  * I learn more about what I am doing and have more control
  * It is free so I don't have to worry about licences for all my
    machines
  * It handles networking sooo much better
  * Scripting :)

As for returning to Windows after Linux/X ... I can help you with this
one...
> No X-mouse!

There is a little package of utils on the microsoft site called
PowerToys or somesuch thing... and inside are a few useful little
gizmos one of which is called XMouse which handles giving windows focus
and auto-raising them (but not middle button paste which is a shame)

Also in there you should find Tweak-UI which gives some control over
some of those options you know you should be able to change but can't
seem to get to (what scan disk does on start up for instance) and a
little tool called DeskMenu which puts an icon in your system tray that
allows quick access to your desktop icons... Without these little tools
Windows would be far more of a pain to me than it already is...

Cheers

Kim

Kim Covil - Australian Geodynamics CRC   E-mail: kimc at ned.dem.csiro.au
            CSIRO Exploration & Mining   Tel: +61 8 9284 8425   ,-_!\
            PO Box 437, Nedlands,        Fax: +61 8 9389 1906  /     \
            Western Australia  6009                            *_,-._/
   Please direct all personal e-mail to kimbotha at it.net.au