[plug] Chat, Kernal config and Slink

Christian christian at global.net.au
Sat May 1 11:25:02 WST 1999

Navarre wrote:

> Hello Members
>
> I have three questions I an seeking answers for:
>
> One: Where can I find the source code to the chat program what is used
> with pppd?
> I found a program with the same name but it was for console to console
> user keyboard chating, I want the one that controls the modem.

The license for the chat program appears to be public domain and I also
couldn't find it on the Debian FTP server in the source directory (it's
in the ppp package) so it's *possible* (although unlikely) that the
source isn't publicly available.  If you take a good look on somewhere
like metalab then it's likely to be there otherwise try an  FTP search
or ask AltaVista.

> Two: What is the name and where is it located for the config file that
> is generated by the 'make menuconfig' process? An I correct in thinking
> that if I backed up this file I could rebuild the kernal as it was
> should a full reload be performed?

The file which contains the last save config from make [menu|x]config is
/usr/src/linux/.config although I believe with menu- and x-configs that
you can save it as another name.  And I believe you are correct in
thinking that you can use this config to compile another identical
kernel.

> Three: I wish to upgrade/ change my system from Caldera 1.3 to Debian
> Slink or better. I am seeking copies of the relivent CD(s), can a member
> assist me with copies?

I have a copy of Slink on CD but no CD burner so perhaps someone else
can help you more. :)

Regards,

Christian.