[plug] What do you school-age members think of SlashDot'sHellMouth articles?

Bill Cullen billc at wantree.com.au
Sat May 1 14:40:27 WST 1999

alex polglaze wrote:

> Tamara Thompson wrote:
> > When I was in college, we were quite excited to obtain a copy
> > of the Anarchists Cookbook.  Interestingly enough, we may have
> > talked and joked about many projects, but not a thing or one
> > was destroyed.
>
> How interesting. I had never heard of this before the net, now
> I have been spammed so many times to buy this publication that
> I contacted the ISP to see what could be done.

I once in my browsing came across an anarchist site in the US. They
made a couple of comments on the "cookbook":

1. They didn't carry it on their website, never had and never would;
2. You could legally buy it from bookshops in America -
   the government can't ban books there;
3. They claimed that many of the recipes in the book are not only
   wrong - they are dangerous. You're more likely to hurt yourself
   with the bomb recipes - you're more likely to poison yourself
   with the drug recipes.
4. Because of this many anarchists believed it to be fake, that
   is they actually thought that the CIA (or some other government
   organisation) wrote it in the hope that some anarchist or other
   urban terrorist would try to use it and kill themselves.

In light of the number of people who have lost fingers trying to
make pipe bombs there might actually be some truth to the argument.

Bill.