[plug] What do you school-age members think of SlashDot'sHellMouth articles?

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Tue May 4 02:07:39 WST 1999

> My father, who is in his 60's, was raised with guns.  Of course, he was also
> free to roam the woods and was not stuck in the city, didn't grow up on telev
> ision and media stress.
>
> I still don't think the guns are the problem.  They are just tools, to be use
> d or misused.  It's very tres-chic liberal bunny hugger to blame the guns.

I agree guns aren't the problem: the problem is the availability of guns.

> Also, it would be nearly impossible to remove guns from American society.  It
> 's actually part of our constitution that an individual has a right them.  So

As I recall, the term is "right to bear arms." The problem seems to me the
interpretation of that phrase. It would not surprise me if it was intended
to mean that everyone is entitled to take part in the defence of the
nation. It doesn't seem reasonable to me that everyone is entitled to go
bunnyhunting with AK47s and such. Makes the bunnies entirely unsuitable
for the table.

>  since it's not likely that guns will be banned, or unavailable to kids, mayb
> e better to approach the problem from another angle.
>
> Maybe simple stress management training.  Maybe cultural awareness and respon
> sibility.  Most Americans don't particularly value education.  Most feel that
>  if a kid goes off, it's not *our* issue, it's the family's.  I look around t
> oday and notice that it's easy to spot troubled kids when they are as young a
> s 6 or 7.  It's harder to devote time and energy to prevent future problems.

Even if you educate today's six-year-olds (and get them all educated), it
will still take best part of a hundred years to get it out of the system.
Until somone succeeds in nailing some responsibility on the NRA and gets
the American nation to understand that violent people with big guns do
lots more damage than those with peashooters and baseball bats AND to want
change, then nothing will change.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield