[plug] What do you school-age members think of SlashDot'sHellMouth articles?

Greg Mildenhall greg at networx.net.au
Wed May 5 01:34:54 WST 1999

On Wed, 5 May 1999, Bill Cullen wrote:
> The real problems in the US are social. Poverty, racial
> discrimination and a lack of oppurtunities and appropriate role
> models have led to widespread drug and alcohol abuse which in turn
> have fueled an increase in voilent crime.
In fact, far more than half of violent crime in the US today is
drug-related - a direct result of the government's crackdown on personal
freedom (ie the right to use such drugs) leading to criminal elements
attaining vast influence over the most vulnerable youths - the more
heavily the drug trade is policed, the more expensive the drugs become,
and the thus more likely people are to commit violent crime.
There are definite parellels here to how banning guns can make dissidents
far less likely to be responsible with their firearms.

> Lastly, poeple tend to be very quick to deny the "rights" of others.
> They do however get very upset when it's their "rights" that are
> being removed.
I'm not sure about this. I don't own a gun, use illegal drugs, read about
bomb-making etc. but I am very concerned that others rights are taken away
from them - of course it might just be a case of "what will they take away
next? what if it affects me?"

> How many people on the list are feeling a bit angry about the
> governments attempts to deny access to sites that we might want to
> visit?
Hmmm, can't see it having any great affect on me that way.
What I am angry about is that to implement it means slowing down
connections, putting unbearable overheads on small ISPs, and inadvertantly
blocking material that the govt. wouldn't actually consider
"objectionable" if they used eye-ball filters.

> How many people feel that the legislation will actually do what it's
> supposed to do?
Don't make me laugh. Those who want to get around the law will, only the
everyday user will be truly inconvenienced.

-Greg Mildenhall