[plug]Guns and Linux

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Wed May 5 06:32:36 WST 1999

> Wow, this thread is more dangerous than the 'Good Times' virus.  Look at all
> the time and bandwidth spent.
> Back to Linux?   <smile>
>
> Is anyone running RH 6.0 on a 486/25?  I know I know.  What a stupid question
> .  But my boss wants to install it this Friday.  <argh> The box will then be
> used to run some software called 'Satan' <not kidding> which will launch a Ne
> tscape Communicator window on a remote users pc and provide some sort of stat
> istics, I believe.  My job is to help my boss install RH on the box. Think RH
>  5.2 would be a better bet?

I used to run Linux on a 486dx33 (the box got taken apart and reassembled:
it's now )P133, 96 Mb).

More important is the amount of RAM (and of disk space). If you have 16 Mb
and 500 Mb should be fine. My web pages are served from a 486DX100 16 Mb
420 Mb which also handles my mail & collects information and files for me:
at the moment it's a staging area for RH 6.

Satan is a network analyzer: looks for security holes. Subject to RAM and
disk space, should be fine. I see no advantage in 6 over 5.2 though.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield