[plug] Distro Wars

Matt Kemner zombie at networx.net.au
Thu May 6 17:14:51 WST 1999

On Thu, 6 May 1999, Christian wrote:

> Basically it will stick the files wherever they would be put if the rpm
> had been installed on a Red Hat (or Caldera et al) system.

> I think you can use the generate option of alien to customise the format
> of the package before installing it but I've never tried it...

When I last used alien, I noticed that what it does, is extract the RPM to
a temporary directory, then use the debian build utils to build a debian
package out of it, which you can then install as normal.

It shouldn't be too hard to do this step by step so you can go into the
temporary directory and move the files around to where you want them to be
installed, and then create the debian package.

 - Matt