[plug] SETI, ipfwadm, ipchains

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Thu May 6 17:41:06 WST 1999

On Thu, 6 May 1999, Matt Kemner wrote:

> which means if your ISP enforces use of proxies by firewalling port 80,
> seti at home won't work.

With Linux, there should be a way around it.
On 2.0 kernels e.g. "ipfwadm -I -a accept -D 0/0 80 -P tcp -r 8080" on a
firewall will do transparent proxying. You will need a simple local
proxy such as apache/wwwoffle/squid to forward the requests.

Do the new ipchains (?) in 2.2 kernels have a more direct way?
i.e. to redirect outgoing packets?

> (and of course since it's not OpenSource, we can't make the 10 line change
> it probably would have taken to teach it about proxy servers)

Doesnt anybody patch machine code anymore?   ---> :-)  <---

Mike Holland <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>            Perth, Australia.
                          --==--
                -- Rich Kulawiec