[plug] Linux and Star Office

russ russ at powerstech.com
Thu May 6 23:04:18 WST 1999

Bret Busby wrote:

.
> But, I can get the browser to work, and the email, but I don't know
> what I have done, that Rob and Russ, who can't get them to run,
> haven't.

It seems to have settled down for me. I found that I had a typo in my
email address when I registered. I changed it and re-registered and it
hasn't crashed on me since. The only problem I have now is that I
can't set a different user name for sending and receiving email. I'd
suspect there's a way since the other mailers I've used have supported
that feature.

I must say I don't use it for much more then simple docs and reading
msword files emailed to me.

>From memory, Star Office 5 for Linux needs about 230MB of disk space.
>It took us a few attempts, to install it. The RAM aspect has already
>been mentioned.

It is pretty large, but what are the alternatives?

>The printer problem has already been raised (I still
>don't know how to get it to print to the DeskJet, but will have to try
>something with GhostScript - my boss (!) said that we have to go into
>the packages part of RH, to configure it, before it will operate;
>apparently RH doesn't actually instal some packages for use, at
>installation of RH, it just copies them onto the system, for
>configuration and setup, before use). It can sometimes be a sod of a

It does sounds like something external to Star Office. I've never even
looked at the printer config in Star Office.

>thing to run. It doesn't run very well, when the browser is open, and
>Netscape is open at the same time, and I try to open a site that I
>couldn't open with Netscape. But, that may just be a need for more

I have 64MB and it still certainly doesn't to like netscape much. :^ )

russ