[plug] Y2K (formerly Linux isn't there yet)

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Fri May 7 10:54:56 WST 1999

On Fri, May 07, 1999 at 10:40:26AM +0800, Christian wrote:
[...]
> Our of interest, has anyone done any compliance tests with Linux?  I did
> a small bit of research (although no testing) a while back and found
> that nearly everything was compliant - there were a few of the utilities
> which weren't but for memory they weren't critical ones and I expect
> they're probably fixed by now anyway.

Yes - just the other week, in fact. The two machines in question mainly
run BIND, Apache and AMANDA and everything seemed to go smoothly.

Careful about introducing artificial problems due to pulling the date
forward and back large amounts, though. It's safest to do a complete
backup and restore after your finished, but if you don't, one thing
that popped up was with those very backups. After the machines were
brought back to the "normal" time, they wouldn't seem to do level 0
(full) dumps anymore, presumably because there was a "more recent"
level 0 dump recorded in /var/lib/dumpdates (/etc/dumpdates for Solaris).

Nick.

--
  Nick Bannon  | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick at it.net.au | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal