[plug] Linux and Star Office

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Mon May 10 11:26:55 WST 1999

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Original Message <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

On 5/8/99, 9:30:30 PM, Mike Holland <myk at golden.wattle.id.au> wrote
regarding Re: [plug] Linux and Star Office :

> On Sat, 8 May 1999, Bret Busby wrote:

> > What do we have to do now, to get Star Office to print to the 500C?
> > Linux will print to it from the command line, and the print manager
> > from control panel, will do an ascii print test okay.

> Brett,
> Can you do other graphics printing, e.g. from Netscape? If so then
> ghostscript is working there.

>   There is a 'bug' in the print scripts, so that if ghostscript fails
> to read the postscript, the error message goes to the printer, instead
> of the screen, or a log file, or e-mail.

>    It looks like ghostscript is failing. Maybe you could try a newer
(or
> older) version. Do the Star Office manuals say what version of
ghostscript
> it has been tested with?

Ghostscript prints a test page kind of okay (alphabet.ps), but the
filter does not work for printing from another application, through
ghostscript,to the printer.

We appear to be missing two script files; unix-lpr.sh and lprsetup.sh

We now need to hunt for these files, which were apparently not
installed when we installed Linux. I believe that Anne searched
unsuccessfully for the files, including searching the installation CD.
As stated previously, we are using RH 5.2.

I don't know whether we should try to get copies of the files from
someone, or, whether we should just upgrade to RH 6, and hope that the
files are in that.

Bret Busby