[plug] Web Search?

Trevor Phillips phillips at central.murdoch.edu.au
Tue May 11 13:10:54 WST 1999

Matt Kemner wrote:

> > Respected Linuxites,
>
> I didn't realise there was any Respect on this list. :P

Ah well, it's optional if you want it. ^_^

> > Does anyone have any reccomendations for Indexing and Searching
> > websites?
>
> ht://Dig ain't bad. A little slow, if anything.

It can't be slower than out current situation (try
http://wwwsearch.murdoch.edu.au/). Ok, so the hardware is old and slow as well
(which is why we're considering a PC alternative).

> I believe it's even a debian package now....Yes it is, web/htdig

Cool!! I'll have to look into it. Checking out the website now. I don't know if
it's as customisable as I want, but being GNU I can always hack the Source
code. ^_^;;

> > Worse come to worse I could write my own, but it's not a small task...
>
> Just ask our webmaster how small a task it is.. He's been writing one for
> the past 6 months or so. :)
> (mind you, he hasn't spent all of those 6 months on it, or it would have
> been done by now. This is in his spare time)

Aaah. I know ALL about "spare time", or its lack thereof. I do lots of things
in my spare time. At least, I would if I had any...

: CWIS Technical Officer         -           T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :