[plug] Debian 2.1 slink

Matt Kemner zombie at networx.net.au
Tue May 11 16:11:47 WST 1999

On Tue, 11 May 1999, Michael Hunt wrote:

> You might then find this article interesting at:
>
> http://www.tunelinux.com/bin/page?kernel/compiling/index.html
>
> One section is called "Dispelling the Kernel Compiling Myth" that has some
> interesting points about the effect a recompile will have on your system.

I have a hard time trusting any website that talks about performance, yet
serves all webpages from a cgi script, as a result rendereing proxy cache
performance useless.

But that's probably just me. :)

I've always seen noticable speed improvements whenever I've compiled my
own kernel, but that may have as much to do with the fact the kernel on CD
is always several revisions older than what's available on ftp, as it has
to do with processor specific optimisation etc.

> Besides not everyone wants to tinker "under the
> hood". Some people want to drive their boxes.

That's true, but compiling kernels, especially when you get kernel build
packages, such as the ones Debian ships with, really isn't that difficult.

 - Matt