[plug] Samba printing problems

Michael Hunt Michael.J.Hunt at usa.net
Fri May 14 10:51:44 WST 1999

Well I have fixed the problem by doing the following (I don't know which
thing actually fixes it but it is working now)

1. Added the line printcap name = /etc/printcap to the [global] section
ofsmb.conf.

2. Added the following lines to the [printer] and [lphpdj01] section
ofsmb.conf.

	guest ok = Yes
	print command = /usr/bin/lpr -b -P%p %s
	lpq command = /usr/bin/lpq -P%p
	lprm command = /usr/bin/lprm -P%p %j

Now I know that the first command didn't make any difference by itself but I
decided to leave it in anyway. (The lpq command was set by default to lpstat
something on my system which doesn't exist and when I tried just this change
it still exhibited the same problems). I think maybe the version 2.0.3 that
I got from samba.org (for use with my 5.2 system) may have had different
compile options than the one that I got with my RedHat distro. A couple of
questions/points maybe.

1. I didn't think that the lpstat file would be a text file (given its
location) but not knowing what it was (and not be able to find much info on
it) I thought I would check with some more knowledgable types. Does anyone
know why this file might be missing on my install (its a clean one so I have
to conclude that it is not in the distro). Do I really need it now ?

2. I found the above lines in a Printing.txt file in
/usr/doc/samba_2.0.3/textdocs (I think). I only added the full path because
it said that it might not be able to find the binaries.  It also gave the
example of a raw printer as Brian pointed out, however I never had to do
this before (does this sound like a user complaint to tech sup or what !!!).
It works beautifully know using an installed HP windows driver on the 98
machine printing directly to the network port \\myserver_name\lphpdj01.
Excuse my lack of knowledge about postscript and filters etc but what
benefit is there in setting it up as raw (hey it works why break it !!!!) By
the way I was not getting anything to the /var/spool/samba/.

Well thanks everyone for the help so far. I hope my findings here can maybe
help someone else along the way.