[plug]RH6 install Poblems with ppp

Mark Saxon mark at omninet.net.au
Fri May 14 19:07:52 WST 1999

mark wrote:

> Gavin Tweedie wrote:
> Could do with some help on problem with PPP in RH6.
>

> > following comes from tail -f /var/log/messages
> > or at least what appears to be the relevent bit.
>
> > > localhost modprobe: can't locate module ppp. Compress-21
> > > localhost modprobe: can't locate module ppp. Compress-26
> > > localhost modprobe: can't locate module ppp. Compress-24
> >
> > First make sure you HAVE the modules (which you should...)
> > then ensure that the following (or something similar) is in your
> > /etc/conf.modules:
> >
> > alias ppp-compress-21 bsd_comp
> > alias ppp-compress-24 ppp_deflate
> > alias ppp-compress-26 slhc
> >
> > and everything should be perfect :)
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Gavin
Thanks to all those who offered advice. Gavin was spot on and its fixed.

In the process of trying to figure it for myself I came across some
posts on comp.os.linux.setup  The gist of which was that compression was
only of any value if the
the machine at the other end was running the same software.
Is this so?
In my case my ISP runs a portmaster with non linux software is there any
point in having these modules loaded in that case.

Mark