[plug] Debian 2.1 slink

Michael Hunt Michael.J.Hunt at usa.net
Wed May 12 16:09:15 WST 1999

> Matt Kemner wrote:
> >
> > I have a hard time trusting any website that talks about
> performance, yet
> > serves all webpages from a cgi script, as a result rendereing
> proxy cache
> > performance useless.
>
> Eh? What a Proxy does with a page (or what it should do) is dependent
> upon the HTTP info the server gives it, not on whether it's CGI
> generated.
>
> But yeah, blatantly using a CGI for each page like that is messy; you
> should at LEAST try and hide it from the user. ^_^

I think the idea here is that if you sit behind a squid box then the pages
are likely not to be cached dur to the following in the squid.conf file:

#  TAG: hierarchy_stoplist
#	A list of words which, if found in a URL, cause the object to
#	be handled directly by this cache.  In other words, use this
#	to not query neighbor caches for certain objects.  You may
#	list this option multiple times.
#
#	The default is to directly fetch URLs containing 'cgi-bin' or '?'.
#
#hierarchy_stoplist cgi-bin ?

Hence you are not adding to the performance of the network. Of course the
squid admin can cause this to still be cached but he/she does this at their
own risk.