[plug] unsubscribe

Christian christian at global.net.au
Sat May 15 11:12:01 WST 1999

Garth Atkinson wrote:

> Mike Holland wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 14 May 1999, Mark Vandenbos wrote:

> > Oh no, not another one. I guess this now deserves a public flog^Wreply.
>
> I think it shows a design flaw in majordomo (having seen this a zillion
> times). One that would only become apparent as the level of experience of
> the typical user dropped (some way) beneath expert.

I don't think it's really a design flaw... it makes sense to me that if
you send something to a mailing list's reflector address then it will be
sent to everyone but if you want to manage your subscription to the list
then this has to be done through a different address.  I'm not sure
there's any other sensible way of doing it...

I also don't entirely agree that it has to do with expertise either -
more to do with basic intelligence and commonsense.  Of course, if a
person knows how majordomo works then they're unlikely to make the
mistake but even if they don't, if a person actually bothered to think
about it (not to mention, read the instructions) then there shouldn't
really be a problem.  I suppose the Internet has become less about
thinking and more about clicking.

Regards,

Christian.