[plug] SIOCADDRT

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Sun May 16 11:31:01 WST 1999

Greg Gamble wrote:

> Yes, I did just upgrade the kernel from 2.0.36 to 2.2.1. So
> that looks like it. On Monday, I'll check by booting up with
> the old kernel.

TCP/IP is a lot more stable (less dropped/hung connections) on 2.2.7;
worth getting the approx 1MB of assorted patches for.

> Thanks also to Matt Kemner who explained what SIOCADDRT stood
> for, and that the message originated with the command /sbin/route.
> Matt, your diagnosis may yet be right ... since much of
> the configuration on the machine with the problem has been
> copied from an older machine with a 2.0.28 Linux kernel.

I use RedHat throughout (mostly out of habit) and upgrade any machine I
want to put 2.2.x on using RHv6, which includes many of the necessary
libraries and futilities. I understand that the later Debians will
automagically upgrade everything daily if you so desire.

--
Exceedingly helpful error message from compiling TeX:
	(Pardon me, but I think I spotted something wrong.)