[plug] Mail and IMAP server questions.

Michael Hunt Michael.J.Hunt at usa.net
Wed May 19 12:30:39 WST 1999

Hi ya all,

It seems to have been quiet here on the list lately ... Is everyone been
blown away by Leon's demonstration of PHP and now busily working on "Real
Live Data" using this software ???

A couple of questions regarding mail setup.

What preference do people have for different MTA's (i.e. sendmail, qmail
etc.) I am wanting to do a home mail server and In the past have used a pop
server by the name of Post Office (from software.com) that is very easy to
work with. It is NT based so I was looking fro some opinions on sendmail
(the art of black magic ???) configuration in comparison to qmail. My
finding so far are that sendmail configuration looks quite involved and that
it is not highly regarded as secure, easy to use or fast (well that was
going by the opinion of the Mail Howto). However the default config with
RedHat 6.0 just needed some minor changes to suit my situation to get it
running. Some opinions on  qmail would be interesting in this instance
(distro war now becomes which MTA is better. While we are on the subject
maybe some opinions on editors !!!)

Secondly does anyone have some doco/info/tips/steps to setting up IMAP on
the above box. I checked that the entries in /etc/services existed (they
did) and that the comments in front imap and pop where removed from
/etc/inentd.conf. A restart and I could telnet to the port and connect with
Outlook and also create folders but I can't delete them. (Error message
about some process already having them in use). Have I made some errors in
my config ?? Any help/pointers would be appreciated.

Hope everyone is enjoying the rain (except maybe Tamara who is moving in to
summer over there in Arizona).

Michael Hunt