[plug] RH6 and printing

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Mon May 24 12:44:43 WST 1999

On Sun, 23 May 1999, Arnold Kaars Sijpesteijn wrote:

> Hello,
> question from an infrequent list member and a lurker.
> I upgraded to RH6 from 5.2, and almost everything has gone ok.
> Except I lost my printer.  I can't print, when I try, I get
> permission denied and something about a service which can't be
> started.  When I run printtool I get the message Samba isn't
> installed, and some other service also, and it bombs out on me.
> What should I do to get the use of the printer back.  It's an Epson
> Stylus 600.

Is the printre installed on your machine .. .ie does it plug into your lpt
port ??? or is it access over the network ????

I don't really s'pose it matters ... If printtool has been built to require
samabe, which seem knida silly, then you'll need to install it:

mount /mnt/cdrom
rpm -Uvh /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS/samba*rpm

should install sambe for you ..... give that a try and see what happens ???

Yours Tony.