[plug] Happy99, was LS-120 drives at UWA

Shackleton, Kevin kshackleton at agric.wa.gov.au
Thu May 27 08:25:17 WST 1999

(this is a little off-topic as far as Linux is concerned)

BTW, anyone got a good analysis of Happy99?

I read that it (rather generously I thought) renamed the wsock32.dll and
replaced it with its version that sends the phantom extra emails.  To remove
Happy99 you only had to delete winsock32.dll and rename the original back.
Unfortunately that didn't work.  This system I looked at had other issues
too so I killed all Windows and re-installed, as one does in the world of
the Evil Empire.

My query here is not "how do you run Windows properly", which obviously you
can't, but why would a virus make itself so easily removed?

K.