[plug] what we need ...

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Thu May 27 13:47:44 WST 1999

( Congratulations David - that the longest subject line ever seen! )

Speaking of censor ship, what do you folks think of this one:

  I heard this week that the appeals court (WA?) overturned a suspended
sentence, and jailed a man for 18 months for possesion of child
pornography from the internet.
  He hadn't paid money for these (which would have been encouraging
child abuse), or distibuted them, or anything else which might hurt
anyone. No suggestion of any paedophile behaviour.  Does this seem a
little worrying?
  Presumably, he had images of some disgusting abuse. But what sort of
a broader precedent is this?

[disclaimer: (the bleedin' obvious) I do not endorse ... yadda yadda...
 merely the appeals cout changing the sentence. ]

Mike Holland <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>            Perth, Australia.
                          --==--
                -- Rich Kulawiec