[plug] modules and sysadmin

cthart at gbs.com.au cthart at gbs.com.au
Thu May 27 15:16:25 WST 1999

Mike,

My current understanding is that conf.modules contains
parameters that are passed to the named module when
it is inserted into the running kernel (by modprobe, kerneld, etc).

conf.modules also contains generic module name to explicit
module name mappings, eg:

via_rhine.o eth0

so if kerneld requests module eth0 it loads via_rhine.o (or
something like that).

I've just upgraded to 2.2.9, and I'm trying to get sound to work.
If I run a program that attempts to use sound, I see console
messages referring to modules not found. I think I'm
supposed to add entries to conf.modules to name the
module to load when the generic module name is referred to.

Any pointers where to look to finish this off?

Cheers,

Colin